Sunday, January 6, 2013

2013 is going to be off the hook...

I have been looking at our year ahead, I am a big planner, work with a 5 year plan and fine tune each year the year before... So coming into January I have 4 interstate weekends away from the kids, a week in Vegas with Mark and a family trip to the Gold Coast with some friends and their kids in August, which excites me! I was telling my BFF about our year ahead and how at any point I will always have something coming up to look forward to this year, she commented that we go on a lot of holidays... She's probably right, but before you have kids, your whole life is a holiday, your relationship is THE priority, you have all of your needs met first all of the time... Parenting is not like that... We made the commitment that for the first 5 years I would mostly be with the children, we would do whatever was required to give them what they need to develop into awesome humans, and yes I totally get that this is different for everyone, but for us this is it... So to keep 'us' in a great place we have weekends away so that we can hold each others hands, have a couple of drinks if we like, eat whenever we want and just be free to be a couple, doing grown up things which are normally reserved for the kids bed times...

I have also always been of the belief that we work to live, not live to work, travel has always been important to us, and if we have to work, the reward needs to be more then just basic living... So we do this, we plan and take trips, it's probably the main thing that gets me through the 2 sick kids through winter thing! It's also what keeps our relationship awesome, because we do 'family' brilliantly, but when our kids leave home, we need to remember how to do 'couple' brilliantly too! And the way things are going, we will...




No comments: