Sunday, February 3, 2013

Amy, My Daughter - Mitch Winehouse

Amy Winehouse is important to me, musically... Back to Black was on repeat in my car for years... I adored her, and thought it awful that she struggled so with addiction, needless to say I was devastated when she died... The idea that she wouldn't be alive to live, and write, and share her beautiful music with us again really upset me...

I was dubious about reading Mitch's book, I worried that it would be too bias, that a parent couldn't really write a harrowing truthful account of their child struggling with addiction... Eventually I caved, I am glad I did... Mitch gives a heartfelt account of his experiences with Amy, the good and the bad... It really took you there with them, her sweetness, her broken parts, all if it! It made my heart break for all of them, and really drove home the idea that regardless of who you are, we are all just human, especially when in the grips of addiction... It was eye opening to get the facts if her health issues and definitely made it clearer how she passed away...

If you have any interest in Amy Winehouse, please read this book... It was a brilliant read... And I guess because I knew how it would end, I read it slowly, really taking it all in...











No comments: