Tuesday, June 4, 2013

The Sapphires, Mandawuy Yunupingu, and racism...

Racism is rampant in Australia... It makes me sick... The casual racists get me the most (same exact thing applies for me with homophobia)... The 'its just a joke' 'I didn't mean anything by it' idiots... Race isn't a joke, minorities have been shat on since white people took over their countries... It's awful... And then to add insult to injury Mandawuy Yunupingu, passed away at a young age this week... Keeping in line with the 20 odd year gap for indigenous Australians and white Australians... Yesterday, upon hearing that news, I cried on and off all day, feeling powerless to undo all of the wrong thats been done... Way too emotional... And then I put on The Sapphires...

I had been meaning to watch this for ages, but we were listening to soul music and it reminded me... It was a really good film, great cast, can't fault any of them! The story was good, I did cry a bit, another reminder of our shameful history... It made me laugh too, really ticked all my boxes... 

No comments: